“Neglected Masterpieces of Foreign Fiction,” by William F.H. Lamont, Books Abroad, 1953
In this article from Books Abroad (now publishing as World Literature Today, Prof. William Lamont discussed eleven novels from Europe and Latin America he considered unjustly neglected.
Unfortunately, despite Prof. Lamont’s effort, all still are.
• Cabin, Vincente Blasco-Ibanez
• Dona Barbara, Romulo Gallegos
• The Family at Gilje, Jonas Lie
• The Little Demon, Fyodor Sologub
• Niels Lyhne, Jens Peter Jacobsen
• Pepita Jimenez, Juan Valera
• Son of the Bondwoman, Emilia Pardo-Bazan
• Timar’s Two Worlds, Maurus Jokai
• The Village, Ivan Bunin
• The Vortex, Jose Eustachio Rivera
• With Fire and Sword, Henry Sienkiewicz